Forest Conservancy District Board
May 12, 2014 Meeting Minutes
Those present: Steve Thrasher, Claude Eans, Andy Driscoll, Jim Arnold, Tom Anderson, Vince Perrotta, Ginny Brace, Tyson Rose, Mike Kay
- Call to order: Vince called the meeting to order.
- Treasurer’s Report: Tom indicated that we received $650 from Frederick County. There was an additional $262.50 deposited from Neighborhood Green. The Neighborhood Green planting contractor will be sending the Board an invoice for the work completed this spring. We received $2.23 in interest.
- Logging site plans. Two plans came in for the meeting. We made plans to conduct inspections on Tuesday, May 20 meeting at Gambrill at 8:00 am. Mike indicated that he received a plan from a logger after his operation was shut down for not having a logging permit. Mike mentioned that this logger is from Virginia and doesn’t do much business in Frederick County. Mike met with him this January and spent 3 hours showing him how to prepare a plan for a site he completed in Jefferson. Despite this, the logger decided not to get a permit for a large tract that he was logging near Sugarloaf Mountain. After a long discussion various Board members commented that the plan submitted is incomplete not having a map, and some of the statements are ambiguous (100 left over) etc. The Board decided to send the logger a letter requesting that he resubmit a plan and stating that he should obtain logging permits in the future, and that he can contact the Forest Service like he did in the past if he needs clarification in what needs to be in a plan. Mike will draft a letter and run it by the Board before he sends it to the logger.
- Neighborhood Green: Tom mentioned that the Neighborhood Green planting contractor will invoice the Board for the work completed this spring. Tom thought the invoice would be about $8,000.
- Nature Notes: Ginny warns that we are getting low on articles again and asked members to come up with current articles now that the dormant period has ended. Ginny mentioned that she is submitting something on viburnums and has some good photos. Mike is working on an article about pink dogwoods.
- Web Site: Tyson mentioned that the web site is up to date. Tyson asked that we send photographs because cycling photographs adds some freshness to the web site.
- Tree Farm training: Claude mentioned that the Tree Farm Committee would like to hold a landowner field day somewhere in Frederick County this year. Mike suggested that the committee consider holding the event at the Forestry Demonstration Area at Stronghold.
- Boy Scout Training: The tentative date of the training will be Saturday, October 11, 2014. We discussed the basic agenda and thought that everything is good the way it is. However, we thought it would be good to recruit more speakers so folks could be spelled for a bit during the day and to allow Claude to mingle and observe the programming. Claude said it would be nice to have a portable sawmill present. Ginny suggested that the adult observers should be the ones to certify that the Scouts have received the training by signing the “blue cards”, not the instructors.
- NRCC: we have had some interest from Middletown High but so far no students from Frederick County have submitted an application to NRCC.
- Other Business:
- Mike presented the Frederick County Tree Farmer of the Year award to Claude Eans.
- Ginny mentioned that there is wood lying on the ground at Waterford if anybody wants some. Ginny also mentioned that Frederick City is providing a lot of support with cleanup efforts and in the course of widening a stream crossing they dug up plants that we planted years ago so that they can be planted elsewhere.