Forest Conservancy District Board
September 8, 2014 Meeting Minutes
Those present: Claude Eans, Steve Thrasher, Vince Perrotta, Andy Driscoll, Tom Anderson, Keith Schoonover, Tyson Rose, Heather Montgomery, Mike Kay
The Board held its September Meeting at the Walkersville Watershed in order to plan for the upcoming Merit Badge Training program scheduled for October 4, 2014, at the shed.
- Call to order – As Keith was running a bit late Vice Chair Vince called the meeting to order.
- Treasurer’s Report: Tom indicated that we received $2.06 interest for July and August. Tom also noted that he deposited a $112 check he received from MUCFC to purchase a sign for the trees that were planted at Frederick Community College last spring.
- Logging Site Exams: Mike had one plan submitted for the Sabillasville area. Since this is a small property Mike suggests that he conduct the inspection in the course of his regular activities rather than making a special trip.
- Discover your Woods: This program is scheduled for October 4, 2014 at Steve Thrasher’s farm. The agenda for the program can be found on the Forests for the Bay Website. Invitations for the program were sent to nearly 300 landowners and active Tree Farmers. The program will include, CREP tree planting, wildlife habitat for golden winged warblers and other declining birds, measuring Steve’s Frederick County champion hackberry, invasive plant control, the Stewardship planning process, and a sawmill demonstration. Forestry Board members are invited to participate.
- Web Site: Tyson mentioned that he received a number of photos from NRCC student Isabella Reese. Tyson mentioned that it would be nice to have some narrative to tie the photos together. Mike mentioned that he thinks that Isabella is working with Ginny to put together a Nature Notes article about her time at NRCC.
- Other business: Mike wanted to make Board members aware that Don VanHassent has been appointed as the Acting Director of the Forest Service until a permanent person is appointed. It is believed that a permanent Director will be appointed following the November elections.
- Fall Meeting: The Fall Statewide meeting of the Forestry Boards will be held on Saturday, November 8, 2014 at Arundel Mills. More information will be forthcoming.
- Merit Badge Training: We spent the remainder of the meeting conducting a walkthrough of the pavilion area around the watershed to plan for the training. We will basically have the same stations as last year. The programs will be 45 minutes long. We need to bring individual lunches. Claude will resend the revised agenda.