Frederick County

Forest Conservancy District Board

April 10, 2017 Meeting Minutes

Those Present: Tom Anderson, Steve Thrasher, Vince Perrotta, Lori Schoonover, Keith Schoonover, Claude Eans, Tyson Rose, Jim Arnold, Dawne Howard, Dave Hunter Mike Kay

  1. Vince called the meeting to order.

  2. NRCC: Dawne spoke briefly about the upcoming NRCC interviews scheduled for 6:00 – 7:00 pm on Monday, May 8, 2017. Dawne suggested some possible enhancements to how we normally conduct these interviews including: Having some refreshments or dinner available for students so that they can enjoy a bite to eat along with Forestry Board members. Display a promotional video or photo collage about the camp for students. Creating a list of standard questions for the students so that we get them talking during interview vs, sitting there nodding their head as we explain camp to them. Dawne had to leave early so she asked the members to discuss these ideas then she left. Members thought that all these were all very good ideas. In terms of providing supper, most agreed that doing a cook out or preparing something substantial would be too difficult as many would be arriving from work. Obtaining some light fare (like we sometimes do before meetings) or pizza, chicken would be easier and less time consuming. Tom and Jim made arrangements to set up a power point projector with equipment they have. Mike will inquire to see what is available from either Gabrielle or other sources. Board members will try to come up with a list of 10 standard questions that we can pose to students.

  3. Treasurer’s report: Claude indicated that we received $.31 in interest. Claude also wrote a $453.50 check to Waterford Park for the MUCFC grant they received. Claude has been receiving checks for the Pesticide Refresher Course that he has been depositing into our account. These funds will be used to pay the caterer providing lunch for this training.

  4. Logging site exams: Mike received 1 plan in the northern part of the county. Mike mentioned that he is actively engaged in tree planting and is at the mercy of planting contractors having to keep his schedule open to deliver seedlings and monitoring the planting. As such, it may be difficult to schedule a visit. Mike will touch base next week via email/phone to see if anybody is available but he may simply swing by and do the inspection himself should he be near the site in the course of tree planting.

  5. Statewide Meeting: Tom, Dawne, and Mike attended the meeting. Tom and Dawne sorted through a number of Arbor Day posters on the ride down and chose the Frederick County winner. We provided the winning poster to Anne Gilbert at the meeting and was recently informed that this poster won 3rd place in the State Competition. The 3rd place winner received 5 large trees for planting on the school campus. Mike will advise members about planting arrangements once he knows more. Tom also mentioned that he nominated Tyson for the 2017 Mel Award; and, Tyson won the award! Keith presented Tyson with the award and we took some photos of this presentation for the website.

  6. Sustainability Commission: Tom indicated that the Sustainability Commission is going to participate in the Frederick County Green Fest on May 20, 21. The Commission will have a booth at the event that Tom will help staff.

  7. FFA Training: A training for FFA participants is scheduled for Gambrill State Park on Saturday, May 13, 2017 from 9:00 am – 12:00 pm. A lot of discussion followed about what topics we should cover, etc. Mike mentioned that Mark Spurrier who is part of parent’s advisory committee for Middletown High sent Mike an email suggesting that students receive a lot of hands on training with forest mensuration equipment such as basal area prism, diameter tape, clinometer, Biltmore stick, etc. Mike thought it would be good to run the students through standard readings that are taken during a woodland exam by the MD Forest Service. Mike thinks he can teach Forestry Board members how to use this equipment (some already know how to.) in a two hour training session. Mike will try to schedule this training close to the student training. (Please see recent email.) Other possible courses to assist with training include tree and shrub identification, identifying wood samples, chain saw parts identification, discussing forest management scenarios. Mike thinks it would be easy enough to have the students measure a plot of ground, then compile the data into usable information, from there they can propose a management prescription based on various ownership scenarios. (interested in income, interested in wildlife, aesthetics etc.) Given the different landowner objectives there should be different prescriptions which will lead to discussion.) One very important point that was brought up is “how many students” can we expect at this training. This will determine how we will break into groups and how much equipment we will need. Mike will inquire and try to get a head count so we can better plan for the event.

  8. Nature Notes: Lori indicated that she received some interesting and time sensitive articles from Dawne and Claude that she submitted to the News Post.

  9. Web Site: Tyson mentioned that the Web Site is up to date. Tyson will add the winning Arbor Day poster to the website.

  10. Possible new members: Keith and Lori invited a teacher from the Banner School (Amy) to attend a meeting and she was planning on being present but a family emergency prevented her for coming to the meeting tonight. Mike mentioned that he has been working with Dave Barrow and thought Dave would be a good member. Dave lives in Myersville, and he is recently retired. Dave has planted trees on his property close to 20 years ago and just did another planting using a grant from the Healthy Forests Healthy Water program. This planting was chronicled in a recent article in the News Post. Dave is also an active Tree Farmer. Mike will invite Dave to an upcoming meeting.