2018-04 April meeting minutes

Frederick County

Forest Conservancy District Board

April 9, 2018 Meeting Minutes

Those Present: Dawne Howard, Tom Anderson, Steve Thrasher Claude Eans, Dave Hunter, Vince Perrotta, Dave Barrow, Keith Schoonover, Lori Schoonover, Karen Russell, Mike Kay

Mike and Dawne met at the Gambrill Park Office at 5:00 pm to interview 2 students for NRCC camp Catherine Fijin and Eridani Pickens. Dave Hunter and Claude were on hand for Eridani’s interview as well. Due to cold weather we decided to meet at the Gambrill Office at 6:00 pm instead of the Walkersville Watershed.

  1. Keith called the meeting to order.

  2. Membership: Mike mentioned that Tyson sent him an email stating that now that he had handed over the webpage to Dave Barrow he would like to step away from the Board in order to prepare for his move to Virginia. We discussed ways we could thank Tyson for the many years of service he contributed to the Board. Tom will talk to Tyson and see if he would like to join us for a dinner meeting in his honor.

  3. Treasurer’s Report: Claude indicated that we received $.30 interest last month. Claude submitted a $225 check for the tree giveaways were are sponsoring at Hood College Green Fest and the Scouts tree planting project. This check was $25 more than the Board allocated. Claude said that he would make up the extra $25 if need be. Nobody thought that would be necessary.

  4. Logging site exams: Mike received two plans that he distributed. Mike mentioned that presently he is in full tree planting mode and it is difficult to schedule a time for the logging site exams due to his tree planting commitments. Mike recommended that the Board allow him to visit the sites at his convenience; and, if he discovers something that may require the Boards attention then we can convene another inspection party and revisit the property. Board members thought that it would be okay to proceed in this manner.

  5. NRCC Interviews: Dawne and Mike thought that both Catherine and Eridani provided excellent interviews and recommended that they be accepted to camp. Some members noted that Eridani was a freshman and that there were a number of students on the “waiting list” that might not be eligible for camp if it were to fill up. Their concern is that a graduating senior may miss out on the NRCC experience whilst a freshman who could have a number of years remaining to go to camp, gets to go. We had a long talk discussing this point. One of the main arguments for allow Eridani to go was that attempts were made to contact all 6 applicants and Catherine and Eridani were the only students to get back to us accepting our invitation to interview. It should be noted that Owen Smith’s father contacted us saying that Owen could not make it do to a previously planned trip. (The other 3 applicants never responded to Mike’s email.) A motion was made to accept both Catherine and Eridani to camp, the motion was seconded and passed by a majority of Board members. Mike will contact Catherine and Eridani and let them know that they have been accepted. Mike will stress that they need to submit their $125 Activity Fee to have a confirmed spot at camp. As for the other students we will schedule a second round of interviews prior to our May 14, 2018 meeting. Mike will “try” to make contact with the four remaining students to set up interviews. The interviews will run from 6:00 pm to 7:00 pm on Monday, May 14, 2018.

  6. NRCC Talk Middletown High: Mike spoke to 3 of Ms. Steger’s classes about camp. He played the camp video, relayed his experiences, and took questions. Mike noted that Dawne’s scrapbook and Elizabeth Haney’s diary was a big hit with the students.

  7. Scout training program: Claude mentioned that 38 scouts have signed up for the program. We have staffing for all 5 of the stations. Claude purchased 150 evergreen seedlings to be planted on the property. The tree id team will meet at the watershed sometime prior to the program to get acquainted with the new trees and hash out their program. Mike made plans with Jon Kays to meet at the watershed at 9:00 am on Wednesday, April 23, 2018. Mike will try to get Sean Weaver to make this meeting as well.

  8. Green Fest: Dave purchased 200 seedlings for the program along with Claude’s order 150 seedlings which totaled $225.00. Dave is collecting materials for handouts at this event and has some Tree Farm brochures. Please supply Dave with any handouts you think are appropriate for the event. Dave obtained the Forestry Board display from Tom and he will rehab it prior to the event. Dave mentioned that he will have help setting up from event staff. (Dave is undergoing another operation on his leg just prior to the event.) Tom will stop by and assist Dave after the Scout program.

  9. Sustainability Commission: Tom is planning on bringing his electric car to the Scout Program and Green Fest. The March sustainability meeting was cancelled due to the winter storm that dumped 8” - 14” of snow throughout the county.

  10. Nature Notes: Lori mentioned that our backlog is still fairly extensive. Mike mentioned that he is working on an article overviewing the large scale ash removals that are occurring throughout the county.

  11. Web Site: Dave mentioned that Tyson was very helpful with the site transition. Dave said he plans to make some changes to make it easier to navigate the site and search for individual articles. Dave added some changes so that you can search Nature Notes articles using the search function. Dave wondered if we should consider having a section that acknowledged past members of the Board and their contributions. Most thought that would be a good idea. Dave also pointed out certain members need to submit a photo and bio. We all thought that a group photo should be taken soon. (Perhaps with the Tea Room as a backdrop at the May meeting?) Dave reminded members to take plenty of photos at the various events we participate in.