Frederick County

Forest Conservancy District Board

June 10, 2019 Meeting Minutes

Those Present: Tom Anderson, Dawne Howard, Claude Eans, Bethany Dellagnello, Dave Barrow, Dave Hunter, Keith Schoonover, Lori Schoonover, Vince Perrotta, Bruce Phillips, Mike Kay

  1. Call to order: Keith called the meeting to order.

  2. Treasurer’s Report: Claude relayed the following. We received $.22 interest for the month. We received $80 in our donation jars at the Thurmont and Frederick Green Fests. Claude also mentioned that he submitted a $500 check to Rocky Springs Chapel MUCFC tree planting project.

  3. Logging site exams: No plans were submitted prior to the meeting.

  4. Big Tree Measuring: Claude and Bethany are set to measure a white oak and silver maple later this month.

  5. Downtown Tree Walk: Bethany is working with the Tourism Bureau for the Tree Walk and she is looking for permission to label trees receiving conflicting reports about whether or not it is allowable to do so in a noninvasive manner. She will follow up on labeling. Bethany also indicated that she has done extensive write ups on the trees that have been chosen and sent this content to the Tourism Bureau awaiting their response. Receiving the Tourism Bureau approval is important for the grant writing exercise that will provide funds to develop a brochure and other educational material.

  6. Logging Permit Meeting: Dawne, Dave Barrow, Claude, Keith, and Mike attended a meeting with Frederick County personnel involved in the logging permit process. We discussed our roles in this process and how we can refine the process so it is easier for applicants and more efficient for the permitters. Some outcomes of this meeting were that Frederick County would develop paper and electronic spreadsheet that lists all of the steps required in obtaining a permit. This spreadsheet would have links to the County’s GIS program (To improve the quality of maps being submitted. And a link to the website that would indicate if the property in question was in a Resource Conservation Zone or not.) Dave Barrow also volunteered to develop some material for our Web Page that would explain what the Forestry Board is looking for in our plans. To accomplish this Dave took the original handout that John Blake developed and made some updates to the document. Dave distributed this handout and solicited comments from members. Dave will produce a final draft then load this up on the website. We also had various discussions on what we should be looking for during our inspections and how we can parlay this responsibility into more funding for the Board. Lori suggested that we develop a checklist to use when conducting logging site exams to ensure that all the bases are being covered; and, we encourage applicants to join us with these visits. Tom mentioned that he will check his notes to find out the budget process for requesting additional funds. Tom and Claude indicated that they would develop rationale why our funding should be increased as we conduct 30 or so of these reviews on a yearly basis. We were all gratified to know that the County thinks that our input is invaluable for evaluating logging site plans.

  7. Workshop: Mike listened to Ben Pagac’s recent talk on ticks and thought it was very interesting and that Mr. Pagac was very knowledgeable and a good speaker. Following the program Mike got the impression that Ben would be interested in helping with our fall program. Keith mentioned that he asked Dr. Hope Macintyre about doing a program on Lyme’s Disease and she said she would help. Dave Hunter spoke to various individuals with Rx Parks and Rx Nature about providing a speaker about the mental and physical benefits of being outdoors and both groups were interested but hinted that they would expect some sort of donation to their program in return. Given that we have 3 potential speakers in mind the next step would be to secure a venue then develop the agenda. Mike will contact JoAnn Hunter about renting Fox Haven sometime in early November. Once we have a date we can contact the speaker, develop the agenda etc. Dave Barrow suggested that we request a donation from the MD Tree Farm Committee to help pay for morning refreshments, renting Fox Haven and donating funds for the speakers. We should also contact Extension Specialist, Kelly Nicholson to help us develop and promote the program. Other individuals that can help include Sue Gwynn, DNR, etc. The Washington County Forestry Board wants to partner with us again and perhaps they can handle registration and help with promotions etc.

  8. Tree Farm Committee: Dave Barrow attended a recent meeting in Ellicott City and had the following notes: The Tree Farm Committee is very interested in helping to fund workshops and other educational events and encouraged us to submit a letter requesting funding for our upcoming workshop. Dave traveled to Garrett County to help review the Buckles Tree Farm in Garrett County for the North East Region’s Tree Farmer of the Year Award. (This Tree Farm won the Maryland competition.) Dave also mentioned that Tree Farm is changing its name to Family Forests since Family Forests captures more of what the program is about.

  9. Sustainability Commission: Tom relayed information relating to the Stream ReLeaf program which is very active in Frederick County. Tom was also present for the Mother Earth News fair helping to staff the Sustainability booth. There are new employees of Frederick County’s Office of Sustainability that have recently begun work. Tom also relayed some information on grants for solar power and insulation for Frederick County residents.

  10. Nature Notes: Lori mentioned that she received numerous articles from Bethany that she will incorporate into the column.

  11. Web site: Dave has learned how to imbed videos into the webpage and has done so with a DNR Newsletter video.