Frederick County

Forest Conservancy District Board

October 14, 2019 Meeting Minutes

Those Present: Tom Anderson, Dawne Howard, Claude Eans, Dave Barrow, Keith Schoonover, Dave Hunter, Vince Perrotta, Drake Russell, Mike Kay

  1. Call to order: Keith called the meeting to order.

  2. Treasurer’s Report: Claude mentioned that the Board has paid all of the outstanding invoices except for Bethany’s. We received $.24 interest. Dave Barrow mentioned that he only had to spend $72.00 of the $144 that he asked for the subscription services for the website. Dave mentioned that he will need an additional $72 for next year. Dave said that he can either return $72 to the Treasury and make the request for next year or hold onto the $72 and use it next year. Board members thought it would be best just to hold onto the funds and apply it for next year’s subscription.

  3. Logging site exams: No plans were submitted this month.

  4. Pamphlet: Dawne distributed the latest version of the pamphlet for members to look at. The same version was sent to members via email. Dawne mentioned that unless there is some concern this will be the final version and 500 copies will be made. After looking things over a motion was made to accept this version for printing. The motion was seconded and approved by those present. Dawne and Bruce will contact the printer and 500 copies will be printed. Hopefully this will be available for the November 8, 2019 program at Fox Haven.

  5. Downtown Tree Walk: Dave said he had to reorganize some of the trees on the website. He intends to overlay the trees on a map of Frederick City to help locate these individuals.

  6. Workshop: Mike said that the last time he inquired registration was at 16 individuals. A notice recently ran in the Frederick News post and on the SAF website. We anticipate registration picking up as the time draws nearer. Given the grants we received it looks like most of the costs will be funded by grants so registration will be profits for the Boards. Tom volunteered to provide a short talk on what the Boards are all about during the Welcome and Comments section. Vince can act as the emcee again. Mike will purchase all of the morning fare. We plan to arrive at 7:30 for setup.

  7. Nature Notes: Keith mentioned that Lori told him that she now has 9 additional Nature Notes to send Sue, so our backlog is growing somewhat.

  8. Web site: Dave said he was able to embed the calendar section in the Spotlight Section for a cleaner webpage.

  9. New Business:

  • Meeting location: Now that the Tea Room is unavailable until May, 2020 we decided to have our November meeting at the Gambrill Park office. Vince graciously opened his home for the December dinner meeting again. Vince will invite Jim and Ginny to the meeting.

  • Tom said he and Claude will draft a follow-up letter to the original letter requesting more funding for Board activities.