Frederick County

Forest Conservancy District Board

August 9, 2021 Meeting Minutes


Those present: Dawne Howard, Dave Barrow, Keith Schoonover, Lori Schoonover, Drake Russell, Bethany Dell'agnello, Vince Perrotta, Sonia Demiray, Tom Anderson, Mike Kay

  1. Call to Order: Keith called the meeting to order.

  2. Treasurer’s Report: Dave indicated that we received $.10 interest and spent $.90 for mailing leaving a total of $4,807.70 in the Treasury. Dave mentioned that the Forestry Board Foundation indicated that, because Baby did not attend NRCC, we can either request a refund or retain that payment for a student we would send to NRCC in 2022. After some discussion a motion was made to request a return of the payment. This motion was seconded and passed by those present. Dave will request that we receive a refund for the $450 payment for our 2021 student.

  3. Logging Site Exams: Mike indicated that no plans have been received prior to the meeting

  4. NRCC: Earlier this summer, Sonia and Dawne drafted a letter to students requesting their participation in shooting a video about camp. This letter was provided to the students when they arrived at camp. We did not receive enough interest with the students to warrant any filming. Sonia and Dawne mentioned that they will try to see if they can distribute the participation letter to 2022 participants before they arrive at camp so we will have more time to sort things out and it won’t be as hectic. Sonia and Dawne did not attend camp this year. We discussed Baby’s situation and members thought that it was best that Baby concentrate on her Journalism program this summer and consider NRCC in 2022, if she is still available or eligible to attend.

  5. Catoctin Stewardship Initiative: Mike indicated that an informational meeting is scheduled for Thursday, September 30, 2021 at Mink Farm Campground. A draft agenda was distributed. Forestry Board members are invited to attend this meeting and RSVP is requested to plan for lunches. Sonia will try to invite a reporter to cover the event.

  6. Ideas for funding: Sonia directed this discussion. A listing of ideas included:

    • Educational programs that either suggest a donation or have a cover charge: some suggestions include, Frederick City or Hood College guided tree walks (Sonia will contact Visit Frederick to update their site and offer this as with a suggested donation), winter tree identification program, request donation for any Scout Merit Badge training we do, partner with Washington County Forestry Board for trainings we have done in the past like EAB workshop, a learning garden for native plants, Lyme’s Disease etc. (Need to set up continuing credits to attract professional arborists, foresters, pesticide applicators etc.) Partner with public Schools for various educational programs.

    • Re-visit the request with Frederick County to increase our stipend from $650 to $2,000 for conducting logging site exams. ($2,000 was our original stipend circa 1990.)

    • Selling seedling packets at Green events.

    • Possible raffles such as raffling off a chainsaw at the County Fair or similar events

    • Urban Forestry: Bethany mentioned that she noticed some vandalism on our Tree Walk tree tags and she intends to visit the trees to see what needs to be repaired.

  7. PR Activities: Sonia mentioned that Tom participated in numerous radio interviews discussing the incidence of declining oaks at Stronghold and throughout the county. Sonia also mentioned that the press release on declining oaks ran in various newspapers including the Green Section which reaches over 35,000 Frederick County residents, along with a Nature Notes article on the subject. (This resulted in a number of inquiries from the general public.) We decided to hold off on further communications about remediating the Oak decline at Stronghold until the MD DNR has attended a hearing on zoning requests. Sonia will inquire with FNP to see if we can run a full article on Barberries in the Green Section and talk to FALCAN regarding a presentation to landscapers and horticulturists on the dangers of Berberis thunbergi.

  8. Nature Notes: Lori mentioned that she recently sent an article on Cardinal Flower to the News Post for publication. The newspaper has 15 articles pending publication. Mike suggested that we run an article about fall webworm as the webs are beginning to show up now. Dawne suggested that we mention that the webs can be cut open to expose the larvae to bird predation vs. torching the webs.

  9. Web Site: Dave updated the home page photo with a picture of a tree frog. Dave will be moving the website to another account because now it is on his own account and he thinks they should be separate. Dave mentioned that they can now post on both Facebook and Instagram. Dave also said that he plans to provide instructions on how to access the website so another designated Forestry Board member can access/manage the site in case Dave is away for a while. Lastly Dave relayed how he and Jan fostered some orphaned wood ducks from very small ducklings to a point they can fend for themselves. (This would make a great Nature Notes column, don’t you think?)

  10. New Business: Mike mentioned that after 34.5 years he intends to retire from the Maryland Forest Service at the end of the year. Everybody wished Mike well and said he would be welcomed at our meetings.

  11. Next meeting: The Summer recess will be in full effect on September 13! Therefore this meeting is cancelled! The next meeting of the Board will be on Monday, October 11, 2021 at Shelter #3 at Gambrill State Park.